Re: modular /etc/X11/Xsession?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 01:09:38PM +0200, Paul Seelig was heard to say:
> Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu (Daniel Burrows) writes:
>
> >   I personally did something similar on a computer here because I wanted all
> > users to be able to choose a window manager in a reasonably nice fashion.  (it
> > was before Gnome was usable and I'm not really convinced that Gnome's mechanism
> > for doing this is that helpful anyway..)  I inlined it into the Xsession file
> > instead of setting up a modular system, but I think it was a similar idea.
> >
> Could you make the code publically available somewhere?  I'd really
> like to have a look at it.

  I'd love to, but it got nuked when I upgraded my Xsession file :-)

  Actually, the heart of it was a simple shell script called 'chwm' which
managed ~/.windowmanagers:

chwm with no arguments would pop up a dialog (using gdialog) with a list of
    available windowmanagers and allow the user to choose a new one (the
    default WM was preselected, I believe)

chwm --run would exec the user's windowmanager.

  I believe it worked out which windowmanager was default by using
~/.windowmanagers, then /etc/X11/window-managers, and then some internal
defaults.  I may have the code for this script still, I'll send it to the list
if it's short or post it somewhere otherwise..

  Daniel

--
  Catch an error-catch an error, coming through the stack...