Re: Niced cron jobs

Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:

> If it's in /etc/crontab, it *is* a conffile parameter. Or do want a
> conffile for a conffile?

I don't think just "hardcoding" it in /etc/crontab is really so bad,
since there are only three lines in there that matter.  I think Craig
was supposing that perhaps cron itself might be set to run niced, or
else cron is hacked so that it forks then nices then execs the cron
job.

I think Craig's main point is in fact exactly the point you were
saying: lets not tweak configuration files to the point that they are
specific to a particular setup (and inappropriate to other setups).
Configuration files, out of the box, should be generally reasonable
for pretty much at least 80% of the situations out there, and should
not be absolutely harmful to the other 20%.

Craig's point, which I agree with, is that niceing cron jobs by
default is of questionable benefit for 80%, and definately harmful for
the, well, say, 5% of the servers out there that operate on high load.
I think it's a good point!