Re: Poor wording of vote results

[I sent this accidentally to Chris privately, so I'm now posting a copy to
the list for continuity.  I'm most definitely off to bed now.]

On 26 Jun 1999, Chris Waters wrote:

> Well, technically, I think it's the vote as a whole

Yes, of course..  I read it quickly the first time and missed that.  When
I did figure out what it meant, it all made sense.  Sort of. :>

With the definition you provided, none of my suggested changes make sense.
The current text could certainly be improved, however, as you point out:

> I *do* think it would be more clear if it said "This vote does not
> have a quorum, so FURTHER Discussion wins by default," or words to
> that effect.

Perhaps "Fewer developers than can make a quorum have been received, so
FURTHER Discussion wins by default." would be an acceptable statement.  I
agree that "by default" is an important addition.  I'd also like to see
the word quorum used in a way that a general understanding of the term is
sufficient to understand the statement, because there is certain to be
another tired developer trying to make sense of the result of a vote. :>

Thanks for your response.

--
William Ono <wmono@debian.org>                             PGP key: 0x93BA6AFD
 fingerprint = E3 64 C5 43 3E B3 2D A6  C6 D7 E3 45 90 24 78 DE = fingerprint