[XEmacs] New Maintainer, soonish.

 James LewisMoss has offered me the maintainership of the Debian
 XEmacs packages, and I have accepted.  I'm learning how the XEmacs21
 package is set up right now, and have begun to work on it.  I'm
 vendor tracking the anon CVS in a repository on my own machine, with
 the Debian stuff on my local trunk.  I will likely try and use
 `cvs-buildpackage'.

 I just found out about `faure', and was able to log in.  :-)  I'll
 try and build Alpha packages too.  Neato.

 There is a HUGE list of outstanding bugs.  It looks like many of them
 can be merged...  I'll be looking them over for a week I bet.  I will
 do what I can to clear them.  There is also a lot of research I ought
 to do in the XEmacs list archives, as well as the Debian list
 archives.  (pertaining to .emacs vs .xemacs/init.el, and to the
 Debian emacsen installation and /etc/emacs.d stuff.)

 Expect it to take me at the very least another two weeks to get
 things squared away for an upload.  In that meantime, I also NEED TO
 HAVE MY NEW PGP KEY SIGNED!  I lost my old one, have created a new
 key, and have not had it verified by another maintainer yet.  I live
 in Portland, OR, USA, near PSU campus downtown.

 I have made a few minor modifications to the standard XEmacs 21.1
 setup.  I'm tossing them at yous just to clatter in the list for a
 few minutes.

 - I changed the startups so that the init file is no longer called
   "~/.emacs", it's in "~/.xemacs/init.el".  The options saved by the
   Options menus won't go into "~/.emacs" either, they'll go into
   "~/.xemacs/.options.el".  It will create the "~/.xemacs/" directory
   if it doesn't exist the first time you start XEmacs21.

 -- This is so that you'll be able to install Emacs20 and XEmacs21 on
    the same box and users won't have to deal with putting cond's into
    "~/.emacs" to make it work with both versions.  Saving options
    with the "customize-*" interface won't cause a version clash
    either now.

 - The XEmacs lisp has been unbundled (upstream) in this version, and
   so I'll be creating a large set of individual library packages for
   it.  Users can choose which ones to install and which ones to leave
   behind as never-gonna-use-it-anyways.  I've only begun to have
   vague notions of a need to make some sort of plan before I finally
   get on with actually tackling this one...  I know it'll require a
   makefile. 8-p  That subproject is on next week's agenda... or maybe
   over this weekend.  It's raining anyway. (darn)

 -- I will name them prefixed by "xemacs" so they sort to the right
    place in `dselect'.

 - I'll try and make it so that these libraries of lisp and XEmacs
   itself can be built using a CVS checkout from the cvs.xemacs.org
   repository.  I want it to be very automatic and easy to reproduce.
   I want tuition for fall term.

 - I've got a simple shell script I call `xg' (pasted from a mailing
   list message) that checks for a running "gnuserv" by using `fuser',
   and if it finds you've got one running, execs `gnuclient "$@"',
   otherwise execs `xemacs -f gnuserv-start "$@"'.  This way, whether
   or not you've already got XEmacs started for the day, you can edit
   a file with `xg filename'.  Users of `gnuclient' already know about
   this, but with a command script included in the package, newbies
   will have it provided for them, flattening the learning curve a
   little.  It's nice to have EDITOR set to `xg'.

 - I made a `.kdelnk' for `xg', and some XEmacs icons, properly
   quantized to our standard colormap, and sized correctly.  (32x32
   and 16x16, with transparent backgrounds.)  I would like to provide
   a gnome icon and "kdelnk"alikes also, but don't know how yet...
   That is on my growing debian/ToDo list.  I can drop a file from kfm
   onto the XE icon, and it pops open a gnuclient window, as expected.

 - I sent two wishlist bugs in against xemacs21...

 -- I'd like to have a Debian BTS minor-mode for Gnus.  I guess it
    ought to work for either emacsen.  It could use a set of nnml
    folders, and work with the email commanded bts server somehow to
    make it simpler to work with.  I think it's got more potential
    than a CGI interface.  We'll see... it's a wishlist item for sure
    right now.  AFAIC, any serious Linux admin uses XEmacs anyway.

 -- I'd like to write or help write an `adduser' interface for XEmacs.
    I suppose it ought to work in either emacsen also... <sigh>  You
    can read what I wrote in the wishlist bug report if you like; just
    pull up the ones for xemacs21 and look for it.