Re: weekly policy summary

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 12:49:23PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Let's Debian blow... gracefully!
>   * Old.
>   * Proposed by Fabien Ninoles; seconded by Sean E. Perry, Edward
>     Betts and Peter Makholm.
>   * Creation of a sub-directory aside from main, contrib, non-free
>     named data, that will hold non-program related data.

     and

> Data section (#38902)
>   * Stalled for 2 weeks.
>   * Proposed on 3 Jun 1999 by Darren O. Benham.
>   * "Since there is interest in packaging census data, maps, genome
>     data and other huge datasets I and since most people agreed that
>     dropping them in main or contrib is not a great idea, I propose
>     the creation of a data section to reside along side of main,
>     contrib and non-free." Includes rules about what goes in this
>     section.

I urge the developers to get behind and support one of these two proposals.
The time will come when somebody is going to package the census data or
astronomical data and we 1) won't have a place to deal with it or 2) put it
in main and bloat main to 76 CDs..

The other option is  to set policy on :package: size or disallowing pure
data packages or something along those lines.  Personally, I'd prefer a
section in our archive that's seperate so these packages can benifit from
our -policy and -packaging guidelines