Re: md5 package summaries on ftp server (was Re: System integrity)

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 10:54:53PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 02:43:26PM +1000, Chris Leishman wrote:
<snip>

> > Fair enough.  Perhaps we should modify out .md5sums file to have the
> > following format...
> >
> > MD5 file_mode file_uid file_gid file_size filename
>
> The UID's need to be names not strings, tar has a mapping algorithm it
> uses.. You should also express the mode in octal..

Ok - this is done in the attached patch for md5sum.c
Again, a -l option is used, but the mode is in octal and the user/group
are strings (except where unavailable, and a number is fallen back to).

<snip>

> What is -really- needed is a stream tar processor that produces this output,
> feed it a .deb and it gives you this list in the most efficient way possible.
> Then we can do away with those md5sum files.. (which is what I ment first
> time round :>)

Yes - though that would be more work, and the idea was to have the md5sum
files available so that they can be quickly and easily downloaded for
integrity checking (a <20K .md5sum file is much faster to download than
a >500K .deb file).

Chris

       As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
Reply with subject 'request key' for PGP public key.  KeyID 0xA9E087D5