Re: Intent to package KerberosV

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 03:31:23PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Thanks - I think I understand now. I thought the users password was
> somehow sent to the KDC server, but I guess I was... WRONG!

(please tell me if I get anything wrong, but this is the way I
understand it at this point in time)

It seems that I was wrong when I said ssh was insecure compared with
kerberos because of the requirement to store the private key (assuming
you password protect it of course) to remove need for regular prompting
of your password. I am not sure how ssh private keys a password
protected, but I will assume for now it is secure. (Is it?)

With Kerberos, *anyone* can request *any* tgt from the server, that is
encrypted by the apropriate user's password. Hence, an intruder could
request an encrypted tgt and, given time, crack it open. Even though
that data might be useless by the time it has been cracked open, if the
password was also revealed, the intruder could request a new update to
date token and decrypt with the same password.

I will have to think some more about how much a threat to security this
really is. I suspect that may be entering a level of paranoia that no
amount of encryption will solve ;-). However, I probably should
retract what I said earlier.

Of course, if this is really an issue, I guess you could regularly
change your password (kerberos), which is considerably easier then
updating all you private keys on different computers (ssh)...

Comments anyone???

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>