Re: Is it worth reporting a bug just for that ?

Le Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 10:44:58PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman écrivit:
> Previously Thierry Laronde wrote:
> > When one invokes the program without any argument just in order to
> > obtain usage, the - verbose - output is sent via STDERR rather than
> > STDOUT, obstructing the use of a pager unless one redirects channel 2
> > to channel 1.
>
> It is an error since you didn't give the program proper options, and
> yes, stderr is the only right place for that error to be sent to.
>
> I'ld file a bugreport if a program send it elsewhere actually..

Ok, I was *technically* - and logically - wrong.
But in this case, I'm *in practice* right, because the message sent is too long, and then, almost useless.
Usage must be short ( i.e. less than a page), with a mention like 'Type <program> --help for more details', if one wants this output to signify an error when invoking the program, AND to be some kind of help for the user ( because the argument for invoking the help isn't, at the moment, standardized).

--
(    (__ Thierry LARONDE