Re: [simonpj@microsoft.com: License]

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 06:28:49PM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > From: Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj@microsoft.com>
> > To: "'GHC users'" <glasgow-haskell-users@haskell.org>
> > [...]
> > I'm glad to be able to tell you that both Glasgow University
> > and Microsoft have agreed to license the Glasgow Haskell Compiler
> > under the "BSD license minus advertising clause".  The text is
> > below.
>
> Am I hearing correctly?!  Microsoft has agreed to license a piece of
> software under a DFSG-free license?  Is this a first?  Who's got the
> champagne?!

Most of the GHC work was done before Microsoft (Research, Cambridge,
UK) got involved. I think SPJ moved there only about a year ago or so,
he was at Glasgow for many years during which he wrote or designed
chunks of the compiler, along with the rest of the Glasgow FP group.

I don't think that Microsoft Research has much to do with the Windows
selling arm! :-)

Giuliano.