Re: RH-style contrib

> On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 06:30:49 -0500, R. Brock Lynn wrote:
> > Then perhaps make 'contrib' more like the *gasp* 'contrib' of red hat, for
> > non-official contributed .debs made by non-official debian developers...
> > i.e. they don't want the full fledged debian developer status, but just
> > want to contribute a particular version of an app.
>
> I believe one of Debian's strengths is that we don't have a RH-style contrib
> section. With a ".deb", users know they get quality. The advantage a
> RH-style contrib section would bring are less than the disadvantage of
> diluting the association of Debian packages with quality.

I agree 100%.  I often mention this as a selling point.  If any joe-blow
could give you a deb of who knows what you could be in trouble.  At least
here you know who to complain to and can use the BTS.

If someone or a group wants to package something, they should be a part of
Debian.  Otherwise, they could work w/ a Debian developer.

Now, nothing is stopping some one like say, Star Office from making their
own debs.  They just will not be allowed in Debian or be Debian's problem.