Re: startx from 3.3.3.1-8

Le Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 10:57:31PM +0200, Andreas Tille écrivit:
> Hello,
>
> recently I upgraded to potato including XFree86 3.3.3.1-8 packages.
> I wonder how to invoke startx to get 16 bpp.  Usually I did
>   startx --bpp 16
> but I get strange results when displaying certain images.  By the
> way:
[snip]
> to be left out.  Moreover, do I have to change startx if I want to
> set 16bpp as default color mode or is there a /etc/X11/* configuration
> file responsible (if so which one and what to change there).
> I think such really basic informations should be noticed under
> /usr/doc/.  Or am I to stupid to find it there???

Hello,

You can set the default color mode ( i.e. the depth) in your XF86Config, by adding the following item :

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# The Colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "S3 86C375 (generic)"
    Monitor     "SVGA"

# Here is the parameter
    DefaultColorDepth 16

    BlankTime 5
    SuspendTime 10
    OffTime 10
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
	Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
# etc...

I'm not on potato at the moment, so I don't know if there is something special, but I had some problems due to a color depth set to 24 bits or higher : the interlaced formats wasn't supported ( typically the gif icons of Netscape) with this color depth, but are with 16 bpp or less. Perhaps is the default set to 24|32 bpp in your configuration file ?

I haven't found some good explanations about the configuration in the doc either.

In hope this will help,

Best regs,

Thierry.
--