Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 01:27:46AM +1000, Shane King wrote:

> "4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software"

> This does not say "Our Priorities are pragmatic and technical". Instead it
> places freeness ahead of any technical superiority. Unless I'm mistaken,
> all developers are required to "agree with and pledge to uphold the Debian
> Social Contract", which makes me wonder how this non-free software got on
> the debian servers and has remained there for so long? Some people
> obviously haven't taken their pledge seriously...

The problem is that some of our users want non-free software, and while
we may prefer free software it's not always possible to do everything
using free software alone.  When that is the case, helping the user run
the required non-free program is a way of satisfying their needs.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/