Re: A few things related to development (thinking about ITPs)

Steve Lamb wrote:

>     What is the procedure for checking on taking a package from someone who
> has ITP'd it but hasn't actually created it yet?
>
> By Eric Leblanc (jughead@generation.net):
>       (437 Days in Creation)
>             kangband -- An Angband variant
>
>     I'm about to go and grab the latest Kangband for my own use because it
> hasn't been packaged yet.  This is my favorite variant of Angband and would
> like to package it since Eric, after a year, has not.

The procedure I'd follow in your case is:

a) Email Eric and ask him how it's going, offer to help.
b) Package for your own personal use (unless k- has changed the
compile-and-install process from vanilla, it will be simplicity itself
to adapt Manoj's excellent angband rules files)
c) If Eric has now responded, email him telling him you've packaged it
locally, and offer him the rules file.  If he hasn't, post a message
here saying you plan to upload in a week or so.
d) Leave a friendly gap for Eric to get back to you, and if he doesn't,
upload.

I.e. be polite to the current maintainer at every stage - but don't let
him hold you back if he's busy with 'Real Life'.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |