Re: Update xearth image or remove it

On 21 Jun 1999, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "JR" == Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:
>
> JR> On Sun, Jun 20, 1999 at 06:10:28PM +0100, Edward Betts wrote:
>
> >> Another consideration is that xearth is non-free software, and that
> >> non-free software is bad.
>
> JR> If that is true, I'm also in favor of removing that image.
>
> So just replace the image with one created by xplanet. It uses actual
> images of the earth as the texture, therefore it looks better. It can
> render in mercator projection as well. Also with 400 developers, there
> should only be the marks without the names.

Good idea. Xplanet can also produce amazing pictures by superimposing day
and night images of the earth. Unfortunately the night images are not
without copyright so they cannot be distributed - but the author of
xplanet has some very nice day+night images. The superposition of those
(with some markers on top) should not be copyrighted. We can ask him to
render an image for us with his maps (I talked to him and he's
delighted..)

How about that?

Cheers
  Detlev