chown versus lchown -- dh_fixperms on links

One of my -dev packages contains a couple of dangling symlinks
(.so, and a manual page linked to undocumented(7)); with linux 2.3.5,
I now get

dh_fixperms
chown: debian/libgeda-dev/usr/lib/libgeda.so: No such file or directory
chown: debian/libgeda-dev/usr/man/man1/libgeda-config.1.gz: No such file or directory
dh_fixperms: command returned error code

Do I need to upgrade something to fix this?

thanks
Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).