Re: ITP: xslj, a XSL processor (XSL is one of the stylesheet format of XML)

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Thursday 17 June 1999, at 12 h 24, the keyboard of Jules Bean
> <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I thought flow objects had been abandoned, and XSL was now exclusively
> > an XML translation language?
> Do we have an authoritative XML guru on Debian? I'm not and I begin to be a
> bit fedup with stylesheets in XML. We have now three proposals, one based on
> flow objects (DSSSL), one which is not (CSS) and one which hesitates (XSL).

And read (lots).  The issues are complex.

In brief, DSSSL is considered outdated (by some) CSS is too simple for
print-media (but fine for online media) and XSL is fledgling but
promising.  For XSL to take off, IMO, we need an XML doc-type which has
a simple mapping into TeX, so that XSl stylesheets can convert to this
doc-type, which can then be rendered.

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |