Re: LSB specification for adding users and groups

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 10:08:59AM -0700, Tonnesen Steve wrote:
> Why is conversion of old systems so difficult?  If mail changed from uid 8
> to uid 7, for example, wouldn't:

> find -uid 8 -exec chown mail \{\} \;
> find -gid 8 -exec chgrp mail \{\} \;

> do the trick?
[...tricky stuff for various problems omitted]

I don't think that would be enough, because new files with the old
[ug]ids could be created while find is running. Some programs could be
running that rely on the numbers as they existed when they started.
(Some programs could even have uids compiled into them.)

I would like to know how Debian did migrations in the past. It seems to
me that it could not be accomplished without taking the system into
single-user mode.

					Galen

--
Ambiguous cases are defined as those for which the compiler being used finds a
legitimate interpretation which is different from that which the user had in