Re: LSB specification for adding users and groups

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Erik Troan wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > While I'm not yet convinced we need to specify numeric values; if we do,
> > we should choose a good existing solution as a starting point and
> > incrementally approach perfection from there. The only time we need to be
> > concerned with the overal acceptance of a specification is if it is weak
> > or unnecessary.
>
> That's fine, but migration is going to be extremely difficult. I can't think

Well, I'm not conversant with the details, but Debian has "migrated" at
least twice that I can remember, the most recent to conform to the current
policy on those issues.

> of a good way of migrating existing machines to LSB dictated uids and gids.
> This is obviosuly pretty trivial for new installs though, and perhaps we
> should make them "suggested for new installations" and not a required part
> of the spec?

I agree about new installs, but I don't see what the "large" problem is
for an upgrade, assuming that all effected programs can be upgraded at
once, or nearly so.

The major problem I see is re-mapping users to their new ids, and
re-mapping the id numbers on every file in the file system to the new ID
scheme. Isn't this the same problem that currently exists between NSF
mounts on machines with different numberins schemes? The fact that this
would, for the most part, remove some of these major problems in these
side areas, and the benefits may outway the work of conversion.

Can you be more specific about where you see the "hard" part of this
migration? I admit to being less than aware of all the details involved,
and only have a vague idea of the ramifications.

Thanks,

Dwarf