Re: netscape status?

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 04:24:17PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> uwd38znr@umail.furryterror.org (Amy Fong) writes:
>
> > I hate to bring Redhat into this but their netscape package actually
> > uses a wrap-around script to work around some of the libc6 2.1 bugs.
>
> No problem bringing Red Hat up, we share code quite willing both ways
> with RH.  We do have our own wrapper script for Netscape, but I don't
> know if it is designed to address the library compatibility bugs.  (I
> don't have Netscape installed ATM.)  Maybe this should be forwarded to
> the Netscape maintainer, and/or (if it can be shown that we really
> need this) sent to the BTS.

I don't think the wrapper is part of the issue here.  Some people have
no problems with Netscape and libc6 2.1 while others have no luck at
all.  The problem may be deeper than the library.  I've installed the
navigator 4.6 Debian package(s) on my potato system (libc6 2.1.1-10) and
am not having any netscape problems (I do have a few problems with
icewm, particularly with WordPerfect 8 and vmware).  Occasionally X will
die with a signal 11, but it doesn't appear to be related to netscape.

Bob