Re: bug in install

David Bristel <targon@targonia.com> writes:

> This goes along with a bug report I filed a few months back.  The
> WD7000 auto-probe will cold-lock many systems with an Adaptec SCSI
> controller(including 2940), but only on certain systems.  I suspect
> this is a BIOS/chipset bug, which I havn't heard of any firm
> resolution on.  This is a NASTY problem which will prevent initial
> installation.  There was some talk of ways to work around this,
> including using RAMDISK as a way to mount the root filesystem during
> install and then selecting which SCSI controller you have, rather
> than doing a compiled-in approach to the install kernel image.  My
> own feeling is to just remove the WD7000 support from the base
> kernel since I have yet to hear of ANYONE who uses such a
> controller.  Oh well....

I think we all agree it's better to remvoe the WD7000 driver if that
will fix a large percentage of aic7xxx driver problems.

The solution is simple -- Herbert (the kernel-image-2.0.36 maintainer)
or in fact any developer, should upload a fixed kernel-image-2.0.36
package.

Any takers?  I'd do it but I have neither a slink x86 box handy (well,
not one with any horsepower) nor the problematic aic7xxx SCSI card.