Re: .deb integrity check

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 10:07:07AM +0300, Amos Shapira wrote:
> > > It should be somehow possible to verify WHICH key should be verified,
> > > and be able to obtain this in an independent way (i.e. if the package
> > > is modified, and the key to be verified is directed to the cracker's
> > > key then your verification wouldn't reveal this, would it?).
> >
> > If the package has to be signed by a key in the debian keyring, which itself
> > must be signed by a single key, they can't do this.
>
> Sounds like the answer to my point.  So what's preventing the addition
> of this to dpkg?  Manpower or crypto laws?

dpkg has been essentially orphaned upstream, by any reasonable definition
of orphaned.  =p  Waiting to hear more about this dpkg2 project still.

"slackware users don't matter. in my experience, slackware users are
either clueless newbies who will have trouble even with tar, or they are
rabid do-it-yourselfers who wouldn't install someone else's pre-compiled
binary even if they were paid to do it."