Re: little? apt suggestion

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 06:29:27PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Sarel Botha wrote:
>
> > what i usually do is run an update after the rename anyway, if it's the same
> > Packages file it doesn't download again, else it does. But what I would do in
> > the program is do a check before doing the rename, just like apt does a check
> > before downloading a Packages file.
>
> This doesn't work as well as you'd like due to timezone skew, evil ftp
> servers and ftp mirrors :< The timestamp is only reliable over small sets
> of mirrors.

Should i submit a patch for apt-get so that it checks size as well? (if it
doesn't already) Surely the possibility of the size AND the timestamp on 2
files being the same is small enough?

Sarel Botha          |     Computer &           | +27 341 81341
(sjb@dundee.lia.net) |        Accounting        | BOX 2065, Dundee
 "The End is near." -- http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/7771/666.htm