Re: problem of lpr/lpd

Yes, I have had the same problem, and it's quite annoying, specially
because lpd stops running on Sundays so when I get to the office on
Mondays users can't print and are waiting for me to fix the problem.

This doesn't happen always and I think the problem happens because
/etc/con.weekly/lpr does a /etc/init.d/lpr restart, which really does
a stop and then a start. It seems to me like the daemon hasn't really
stooped when it is restarted again, so it fails to bind.

I thought about trying something like:

/etc/init.d/lpr stop
delay 5
/etc/init.d/lpr start

in /etc/cron.weekly/lpr instead of the /etc/init.d/lpr restart, but I
haven't done so yet.

One thing is for sure: the problem is caused by /etc/cron.weekly/lpr.

See ya!

peloy.-