Re: KDE liscence question

John Travers wrote:

> We can't KDE go into non-free, Qt is in there?
> I've read all the debian-kde-stance pages but I still don't see why this is so.

Because it is illegal to distribute KDE.

The KDE license is GPL.  The GPL requires that a redistributor make
available full source under its terms.  Qt source is part of the KDE
source, as the GPL defines 'source'.  But Qt source cannot be
distributed under terms which allow modification.

Ergo, we can't do it.

We will be able to (and will do so, furthermore) as soon as a) KDE
changes its license and roots out any code which doesn't belong to it
and/or b) Qt releases 2.0 under the new QPL.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |