On the disposition of old policy proposals

Hi,
        http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/pa/ldebian-policy.html

        One of the goals of the policy update mechanisms was to
 eliminate, or at least ameliorate, the tendency for discussions to
 get bogged down indefinitely on the mailing lists (we do thast quite
 often ;-)

        Since Julian was gracious enough to trudge through the lot of
 bug reports against the package, we have now identified a whole bunch
 of old proposals that have stalled out and lingered in the BTS.

        If there is any merit in these proposals, they should be
 revived, by getting seconds and moving into the amendment phase (with
 its own builtin time limit of discussion), or they should be swept
 out of the BTS.

        I suggest that a 4 week period be given to these old
 proposals, and if they have not changed status by the 4rth of July, I
 shall close those reports and remove the clutter on the BTS.

        In other policy related news, people would have noticed that
 there have been a number of amendments to the policy that have been
 accepted. I am working on editing the policy manual to incorporate
 them atther moment. I am also merging in the source package for the
 packlaging manual into the policy manual, since most of the packaging
 is identical between the packages, and it is maintained by the same
 people. This makes no normative change in the status of either
 document.

        Due to the number of amendments, and the formal adoption of
 the FHS, this new policy document shall be version 3.0.0.

        manoj
ps. Since this is being cross-posted to debian-devel, the following
    table is to explain the convention for the BTS used by the policy
    group

The stages in a proposals life

 a) Pre discussion period, an idea is
    floated, and kicked around and      wishlist bug, titled [PROPOSAL]
    polished for a bit. No preset
    time limit, but at some point,
    if it is stalled, the bug should
    be closed.
 b) Formally seconded, and a time
    table set for discussion (normally  normal bug, titled [AMENDMENT yy/mm/dd]
    10 days to a month)
 c) End of discussion period.
   i) Consensus:                        forwarded, titled [ACCEPTED yy/mm/dd]
  ii) Stalled                           closed,    titled [REJECTED]
 d) edited into the policy doc          closed

--
 I needed the good will of the legislature of four states.  I formed
 the legislative bodies with my own money.  I found that it was