Need for hardware diagnostic tools...

If you read my other posting about my Ethernet problems, you will see a
connection to this thread. However, I have had other experiences as well
that lead me to this posting.

I don't think I know of _any_ hardware diagnostic tools available for
Linux. I could be wrong, (and expect you to tell me so ;-) there isn't any
reasonable tool for looking at the contents of port addresses, or fielding
interrupts from devices, or placing commands in data registers and waiting
for acceptance notice through a control register bit toggle, is there?

Is anyone working on such tools?

Thanks,

Dwarf