Re: Ideas for pppconfig

Hello all,  It has been a number of years since I have used my home system to
dial up, since I get what I need @ work, but lately I have been fooling around
w/ "expect", the tcl extension commonly used in the "security" business.

I just impressed the * out of my boss by listing all the UNIX executables,
including xterm in a web page, and assuming an Xserver is running, a CGI starts
a client of any kind on a HPUX near-supercomputer and puts the screen on any
workstation.

In a way EXPECT is not ideal for this purpose ~because~ it is a lot more ideal
for "iffy" type actions such as ppp communications as it tends to wait for odd
things to happen.

It is very well documented in the Nutshell book of the same name, and has the
necessary whatif clauses to formulate a fool proof login program.

I am going to work a little more w/ expect clauses being forked from shell or
perl cgi, restart a conversation I had w/ the author years ago, and then look
at the pure PERL implementation of his libraries.

I am a really strong perl fan, and I really want to see perl pushed a little
harder in the deb arena, mainly because it is a perfect food group.

Email me for futher info; I'd be really happy to help you with this
implementation if possible.

===
John van Vlaanderen