emacs20: need help with Bug 35128 (emacs MTA invocation behavior).

According to Francesco, the patch to sendmail.el from Mark Eichin that
closed old bug#7051 is causing problems.

The patch he's concerned about told emacs that on a Debian system, it
should not to use the "-f" flag when invoking the MTA to send a
message.  The rationalization was that on a Debian system, emacs
should trust the MTA to DTRT.  However, Francesco maintains that this
prevents him from being able to send mail with an appropriate "From"
header using a standard Debian emacs:

  With Debian's patch, one is forced not to add a -f option.  This is
  breaking my mail, because I work on a box named fly.cnuce.cnr.it,
  but I need to set my From to F.Potorti@cnuce.cnr.it.  I make emacs
  put a From: line inside the message, but smail ignores From: headers
  inside the body of the mail, and builds its own MAIL FROM envelope
  using the name of the local host.  The only way I know to make it
  use my mail address in the MAIL FROM line of the envelope is to use
  the -f option.  I think this is a very common situation.

So I need to determine if this is an emacs20 problem, an smail
problem, or a Francesco problem :>.  Any feedback would be
appreciated.

(Please see the actual bug report for the full information.)

Thanks