Re: First ITP: slashdot-reader

On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 02:14:31AM -0600, James Bielman wrote:
>       The license is basically none.

In other words, it's basically "all rights reserved", under the Berne
convention.

>       Ie completely freeware.

This can mean anything from "you may download a binary from my homepage
but you must not redistribute it and you may use it only for your hobbies"
to "do whatever you will".

> Should I pester him for a more formal license,

More formal is not what is needed.  We need a *clearly defined* license.
I myself use a variant of the following when I don't care how my code
is used:
   Written by Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <ajk@debian.org> on 1999-05-30
   Use, modify and distribute as you please.
You can't get much more informal, but this is quite explicit, unlike
the "freeware" wording the author of your program used.

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)