Re: An 'ae' testimony (SUMMARY)

Jules Bean wrote:

> I don't want to start a flame-war, so be gentle..

Oh well.  I did, anyhow.

> I was just mindlessly (in a tongue-in-cheek way) evangalising Debian on
> a mailing list I'm on, and I got a private response from a SuSE user.
> He had installed Debian from a CD (he didn't say which version, I'm
> afraid) and 'vi fstab' to mount his old partitions.
>
> Then he had attempting to do something which would have worked in vi (he
> didn't give specifics) but doesn't work in 'ae', which resulted in the
> file getting mangled, and saved.
>
> So he switched to SuSE.

OK.  We didn't really come to a consensus, be here's my what, IMO, best
summarises our opinions:

1) If we don't have vi on the disks, we shouldn't pretend to.  So, the
vi-compatibility mode goes. (Has gone.)

2) We choose between 'ae' and 'ee' on their merits.  At the moment, 'ae'
is in the ascendant.  If an 'ee' fan creates a version of 'ee' which
fits on the floppies, and is sufficiently functional, maybe that'll be
OK.  Any other editor is also a candidate here, but we have space
problems.

3) We ought to have at the back of our minds the possibility of
separating the boot and rescue floppies.

4) We ought to investigate the possiblity of a CD-ROM based boot/rescue
using more space, and hence giving us a better selection of editors.

The bottom line, IMO, is that the vi-emulation mode caused more harm
than good.  I think the example I started the thread with was important,
and only one person seems to disagree.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |