Re: (LONG) Correct non-US solution

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> A couple of remarks:
> * we don't control how mirrors mirror our archives, and we don't want to
>   create a situation where mirrors need special tools and/or scripts.

According to previous posts, our top tier mirrors already run special
software to mirror us, and under the new scheme those are the only ones that
would need to run our custom stuff anyways.

>   was that you don't want to list the countries in the package, but the
>   reasons why a package is restricted (ie RSA, LZW, mp3) and have a
>   seperately maintained list to map those to countries.

Yes, that is undoubtedly a superior solution, but a lot more work.  It
relies on a few people to make up these lists and maintain them.  The new
way would distribute the load over all our developers, as it would
distribute load over our mirrors.

a) the file mapping is much more complex to implement
b) doesn't give a developer much control over his own package
(ie, if your package suddenly became illegal somewhere for some reason that
wasn't already listed, the developer could quickly respond, instead of
yanking it from the distribution)

Jonathan