Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 09:56:06AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 11:46:43PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > joe and ae are no more intrinsically friendly, they just have help
> > windows at the top of the screen. If we put one in a small vi, would
> > that shut you up?
>
> I disagree: a modal editor is intrisically easier to get stuck in,
> because most beginners don't understand the modality concept.

What if we make the help text mode-sensitive? eg

--EDIT MODE--
Enter text. Hit ESCAPE to return to command mode.

--COMMAND MODE--
i - insert at current cursor position       :wq - Save
a - insert after current cursor position    :d  - Delete a line
arrow keys to move (assuming they work)

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).