Re: Advantages of distributions for companies?

On 21-May-99, 15:41 (CDT), Alistair Cunningham <ac@gnu.org> wrote:
> I've been asked the following:
>
> <quote>
>
> Now why is allowing "distributions to include your program" a good thing?
>
> </quote>

Because if it's not in the distribution a user has selected, the odds
are good that they will never see/use that program.

When I first started using Linux (Debian 0.91 or some such), it was
no big deal for me to grab the source for something and build it. The
situation is know at the point where I rarely spend the effort to use
something that's not available as a .deb. It would have to be something
pretty special, and not functionally available in some other program.

Most of the reason is that I don't want software that can't be
installed/uninstaled/tracked by dpkg/apt. I often (well, sometimes)
download the source to a package and rebuild it with modifications, so
it's not just laziness about building stuff. Of course, if it's been
debianized, I'm pretty sure that I can make the change I'm interested in
and rebuild it painlessly.

Steve