Re: An 'ae' testimony

Paul Seelig <pseelig@mail.Uni-Mainz.de> writes:

> Maybe "vi" on the boot disks should simply say "vi didn't fit on the
> bootdisk, so please use the self explaining 'ae' which will be started
> right now" and forget about the bothersome vi emulation nuisance.  I'd
> rather prefer a elvis-tiny or even mcedit though...
>
> ae is one of Debian's most overlooked weak spots IMHO... :-(

No shit.

Many times I have been totally stumped by my inability to escape that
evil mind trap.  I am skilled in both vi-fu and emacs-fu and my master
likes his chicken and wine!  But ae's demonic keybindings do nothing
but stare unblinkingly back at me, mocking me as I type ESC : q ! over
and over and over and over again, hopeing that it's just toying with
me.  I can't control-C out of it, and I can't control-Z out of it, and
I'm in single user mode!

If anything, it should be either something that is small and can
handle key bindings for both most of emacs and vi and do it WELL!  it
must work well.  When your trying to resuscitate a box is the last
time you want to get some bumblefuck keystroke throwing your
/etc/fstab or raq black device into some unknown state with no hope of
going back.

If we can't get something that does both well, then let's get
something that does vi and is small.  I am an emacs advocate thru and
thru, I live in it, but on a rescue disk, vi just seems right.

--
Craig Brozefsky        <craig@red-bean.com>
Less matter, more form!      - Bruno Schulz