Re: Hints about future improvements

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 08:15:21PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo was heard to say:

> OTOH, I wonder how much benefit binary diffs could really give.  Since
> every .deb is mostly gzip compressed data, wouldn't you often need to
> retrieve the whole thing again anyway?

  I believe in the thread I was referring to, the binary diffs were going to
be against the uncompressed versions of the packages.  So if a new version
of X came out and only part of a binary changes (a minor patch was applied
for example), a diff would be made for those changes and then (I assume)
compressed.  So you'd save a lot of bandwidth (I assume) which is good for
people who have modem connections.  (I've been following unstable but I just
downgraded to a modem connection and I'm unsure whether I can continue to
get 3-4 megabytes of upgraded packages a day)

  Daniel

--
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US.  THERE IS NO JUSTICE BUT US.  ALL THAT IS, IS OURS.
BUT WE MUST CARE.  FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, THEN WE DO NOT EXIST...