Re: Time to rewrite dpkg IN IDL! :)

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 09:14:26PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> How about "it's complete overkill"?

I don't think so.  Yes you can write maintainable code with plain C,
but with the number of developers moving in and out of Debian, I think
that a decent OO approach for core software could make it more maintainable
for _everyone_.  I often feel that I'd like to help contribute code to
some things, but, not being an overly confident programmer, I am daunted
by code that takes a long time to understand.  I personally find OO design
much easier to follow.  This is personal preference however.

> I don't see anything in the Debian packaging system which fits
> OO very well at all. We have just one type of package; there are no
> special sub-types, for example.

Perhaps there should be then?  After the little work I've done (yes, and _you_
know just how much Hamish :P), I do see advantages behind the OO approach.

Besides, as I said, at this stage, do the analysis, not the coding.  It can
always be scrapped if it looks like it would be pointless, but I'd like to
see some non-emotive reasons not to even _consider_ it.

daniel