Re: (LONG) Correct non-US solution

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 07:51:31PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

> Also, I am not sure it is useful to distinguish between
> "use-restricted" and "patent-restricted", given that the consequences
> would be the same.

the reason i suggested having a "patent-restriced" category is that
patents don't necessarily prevent individuals from using the patented
technology in their own home, they only prevent the commercial
exploitation of that patented technology.

e.g. if i hear of a cool idea for a new and/or improved gadget, i
can build one myself and use it whenever i like. i can even tell my
friends how to do the same. what i can't do, however, is sell it without
licensing the technology from the patent holder.

what is the difference between sharing the plans for a gadget, and
sharing the source code for a program?

in other words, it's debatable whether a software patent entitles a
company to sue an individual for compiling and using free source code
that implements their patented algorithms.

craig

--
craig sanders