Re: Time to rewrite dpkg

Hi Marek,

On 19 May, Marek Habersack wrote:
 > * Ossama Othman said:
 >, but rather to it's
 > implementation on the GNU platform, which is now in its young days - it's
 > constantly changing, the features are being added, standard being
 > implemented in more and more detail. This situation will no doubt incurr
 > many changes both in the source code of the programs (new keywords, syntax
 > changed at places, library classes etc.) but also in the generated binaries
 > interfaces - esp in the shared libraries.

I don't believe that the situation is nearly as bad as you depict it.
A few years ago I would agree with you but the fact that there is now a
standard means that the standard C++ APIs/keywords/syntax will generally
not change.

 > > fairly stable in terms of existing language feature support.  Stuff
 > > like RTTI and exception handling aren't major issues since they can
 > > easily be disabled.
 > But it DOES change the binary representation of the program, esp. name
 > mangling - which is the major headache with C++ right now.

Again, I don't think the name mangling issue is so bad.  Then again, I
program exclusively in C++ so I am admittedly biased toward it.

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis