Re: Time to rewrite dpkg

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 05:24:08AM -0700, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:
> 	So, whether or not I recieve the approval of this community, I'm
> going to be working on a complete rewrite of dpkg. No, it won't even
> *resemble* the old dpkg; I guarantee it to become contraversial. I'll let
> the masses decide whether it warrants trashing the old for the new.

I don't know what kind of reception you'll get to this (I can see the
thread is already large but I'm not going to read the replies till I've
said my piece), but...

Hey, more power to ya, man.  You may very well earn iwj's undying hatred,
but what the hell?

You're doing the right thing, and saying, "I'll show you the code, and then
you can do what you want with it."

So many people blow onto this list with pie-in-the-sky ideas (configuration
registries, etc.) and insist that their proposal is The Right Way To Do It,
but nary a scrap of code is seen from them.

It is impossible, IMO, that you can't engage in this endeavor without
learning a lot, and likewise so will the people who see your code.

So, Godspeed.  I look forward to hearing about your progress.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   "Then how could astronauts walk around