Re: Hints about future improvements

On 19 May 1999, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> Its rather difficult to split package into the right amount of
> chunks. Each chunk has some overhead for download and state
> information (/var/lib/dpcg gets big). I think the idea of bindiffs
> would be far more usefull.

I wouldn't go as far. I'm not thinking about changing the
chunks, but if a chunk is not changed, why should I download?
I think the package structure is good enough. As I wrote in
my first mail, for example binary packages are changing often,
but -dev, -doc packages not so often. Also for X, libc there are
quite big, stable parts. (fonts, timezones don't change).
The things needed to decide if you need a package or not
can be put to Packages file, which is downloaded anyway.
The program, that makes the diffs for sources, can also
have a look at the generated packages, and put the results
back to debian/control.

Flocsy

Gabor Fleischer
MAILTO: flocsy@mtesz.hu       URL: http://www.mtesz.hu/~flocsy