Re: Intent to package: device3dfx

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 03:52:11AM -0400, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:
> One other problem, it needs big warnings, anyone with access to the
> device can crash the machine no problem...
>
> Its vaguely possible that it could also allow more, however I've never
> seen anyone mention such..

Someone needs to decide what the permission on the device are too :}

I'm currently using [root.audio, 0660]. i.e. the device can be used by
anyone in the "audio" group. It's my understanding this group normally has
no members, but people who log in via the console are put in it for a
session. Hence I'm using it as a "sitting-in-front-of-the-PC" privilege.

But, yes, this is *still* insecure. So I'll put a (big) warning in the
description and the README.Debian.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam, Validation Engineer, ARM Ltd, Cambridge UK     +44-1223-400677
steve.haslam@arm.com       steve@arise.demon.co.uk        araqnid@debian.org