Re: intent to package pa-risc stuff

>> (me saying a bootable kernel is still quite aways off)
> I wonder if this ITP is a little bit early then...

well, sort of. i can still package the cross compilers and such, so that we
will all be ready for it. but the new arch obviously is still another relase
or two away.

i have binutils packaged, and i haven't worked on it in awhile, but i think
egcs is mostly done, too...

> > anyway, since for now they will be x-compilers, where should the bins be
> > placed? should egcs be /usr/bin/egcs-parisc? /usr/parisc/egcs?
>
> We will have to create binary-parisc or similar.

well, for the cross compilers, i'm doing /usr/lib/parisc-xxx
e.g,
/usr/bin/parisc-egcs
/usr/bin/parisc-as
etc.

> As the beginning, where no port exists, a directory within
> experimental looks proper to me.

agreed.

> Justin, can you find out if those machines are binary compatible.
> I've heard that there are two general types flying around (5i and
> 3i, iirc).  I wonder if one new architecture is enough or if we
> need both - like for mips.

which two machines? the ones the puffins are working on? they are working
on the a180c (a-class). it is only a 32-bit machine, however. i think it is
compatible with all the 64-bit machines, and can confirm this if you'd like
and provide me with more info.

--
Justin Maurer                                justin@linux.hypnotic.org
IFT Systems, Inc.                            http://linux.hypnotic.org