Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

It seems to me that since there will always be patches and updates to packages
between releases, and since we have the "proposed" updates, perhaps we could
add an "updates" area, in addition to the non-free, contrib, and main sections.
This would work VERY nicely for users who want to grab the latest patches.  A
good example of why this would be good is the XFree 3.3.2 being released in
slink, and everyone wanting 3.3.3.  Also, for potato, since it WILL be glibc 2.1
based, I suspect a large number of people would want versions of XFree, gnome,
and other packages without having to upgrade their systems.  By setting up an
extension to our current directory structure for updates, we make it VERY simple
for people to add these in.  I THINK it might also make it easier to release
maintenance releases in this manner.  Simply have all the updated packages in
the updates section.  If apt and dselect do their jobs, it should grab the
proper NEWer version of the package.

							Dave