Re: Debian.Org and nameservers

On 10 May 1999, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

[debian.org has loads of nameservers]

> Another thing, according to Internic only 3 servers have been registered
> as nameservers for debian.org:
>
> # host -t ns debian.org a.root-servers.net
> debian.org              NS      BUOY.COM
> debian.org              NS      WWW2.BUOY.COM
> debian.org              NS      VA.debian.org
>
> So the nameservers at cistron, fuller, hands, waw and ldsol are of
> questionable use as well.

Not that there is anything wrong with this per se. The extra nameservers
could have loads of resolvers using them benefiting from fresh data or
they could be feeding internal/firewalled networks.

Anyway, the fact is illustrated by this litte hack:

   http://www.foobar.tm/dns/dnsbajaj.cgi

The other way around --  having internic delegating a domain to non-
authoritative nameservers -- is a bad thing, making the servers go an
extra round to get the data. Using the above tool shows that this is
the case for both debian.com and debian.net. Not that I know if those
have anything much to do with debian.org?

/Bjorn

- - - - umop apisdn 'sdoo - - - -
Bjorn Isaksson <bjorn@mdc.umu.se>