Re: install report for Debian 2.1 and some comments on installation profiles

>> "ADC" == Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

ADC> Martin Bialasinski <martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> writes:
>> This is exactly the thing the equivs package will do.

ADC> Does equivs implement this through skullduggery, or does it make
ADC> nice metapackages which play nice?

Well, It could be extended, but I hope, I have written it nicely.

$ cat /usr/doc/equivs/examples/webserver.ctl
Section: web
Package: webserver-dummy
Provides: httpd
 This package provides dpkg with the information that
 there is a local webserver installed.
 .
 Installing dwww, man2html etc. won't bug you to
 install apache any more

$ make-equivs /usr/doc/equivs/examples/webserver.ctl
[creates the package]

$ dpkg --info webserver-dummy_1.0_all.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 2258 bytes: control archive= 538 bytes.
     390 bytes,    14 lines      control
     211 bytes,     3 lines      md5sums
 Package: webserver-dummy
 Version: 1.0
 Section: web
  This package provides dpkg with the information that
  there is a local webserver installed.
  .
  Installing dwww, man2html etc. won't bug you to
  install apache any more

Basically the controlfile used by make-equivs is a usual control file
(I fil in default values, if fields are not present [like maintainer
in theis example]).

So you could just place a appropriate Depends: header, any there you
go.

As the package tree is not deleted, one can also use equivs to quickly
create a vaid tree, change some files like the README and do a
debuild.

If there are specific things to add to equivs to create the
metapackages, I will happily add them.

The netscape metapackages in unstable are a good thing. no need to
hunt down all the packages with the right versions.

I also really like to see a GNOME metapackage like this.

Ciao,
	Martin