Re: Dents v0.0.3 - DNS server

In article <[🔎] 8790axn528.fsf@piracy.red-bean.com> you wrote:

>> Given the BIND package will move to non-free in version 8.2 due to
>> the license on the RSA code used for DNSSEC, it's good to see an
>> alternative that will be in main... even if it's less functional.

> Is it possible to keep an older version of Bind in main?  Many of us
> will not be using DNSSEC anyways for awhile.

I suppose it would be possible, but I'm not particularly interested in
maintaining more than one version.  A better solution would be to figure out
how to fraction the 8.2 sources.  It's not obvious to me how to do it, and I
don't have much time to work on it right now, but the notion of a base bind
package and a bind-dnssec in non-free is conceptually appealing.

I'll think about this some as I finish putting the 8.2 package together.  The
bits work fine, but I've had it with the existing configuration mess, and am
trying to both give us something simple and rational for new installs, and
deal with the mess previous version of bind have left behind... and it's not
much fun.

Bdale