Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

I've got some more comments to your proposal:

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 11:54:55AM -0400, Dave Neil wrote:
> To date most of our work has been in planning , with some initial
> experimentation of concepts, such as live CD.Here's what we are
> proposing for our design. Please note that all the following procedures
> and steps can be ignored or modified by Debian. The overall design is
> very flexible.
>
> 1.We intend to use a rescue image to boot off either a floppy or CD-ROM.
>
> 2.A splash screen will appear(lilo) and  the initrd image and kernel
> will be loaded.
>
> 3. Kernel boot messages will be sent to an alternate console.
>
> 4.A linuxrc will determine the cdrom, mouse, network card and hard drive
> devices.
>
> 5. linuxrc  then mounts the cdrom on /instmnt and loads the  correct
> mouse driver and
>      corresponding  XF86Config file.
>
> 6. linuxrc  then  starts X [startx] and the setup UI from a
> preconfigured xinitrc.

a) Your proposal assumes the user will do a CD-ROM based installation.
But we support floppy (the horror, the horror) and network based
installations as well. For network based installations, the rescue image
would have to mount a remote medium (probably by NFS) to start X from it.
That means configuring the network before using X. Have you thought
about that for your design?

b) 2.2.x with all SCSI drivers compiled in is a huge beast. Are you going
to compile them as modules? If so, where are they going to be loaded
from? When? (You may need them while detecting the cdrom and hard drive
devices).

c) You call it a "rescue" image. Does that mean the user can boot from it,
open a shell and use a bunch of command-line tools to mount a partition,
edit some files, extract a tgz file, and all those things that one can do
with just a rescue floppy?

> We are also looking at a a replacement for dselect(it would still be
> installed),
> as the primary means of  choosing custom packages, again this would be
> based from the setup UI calling the needed functions from within the
> setup API.

What about looking at apt front-ends? gnome-apt is currently a very
interesting candidate.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es