Re: Interactive installation [was Re: Caldera installation...]

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>   >>>>>> "Oliver" == Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
>   >
>   >    Oliver> We need:
>   >
>   >    Oliver> 1) a tool to let {pre,post}inst scripts get arbitrary data
>   > It could connect to an `apt' frontend, or to a dialog thing, and use
>   > a GUI to get the response from the user also, couldn't it?  Isn't
>   > that the sort of thing that CORBA or a message bus like koalatalk is
>   > meant for?
>
> I think such features can be added to the front end, but should be
> transparent to the install scripts.  Whatever we do must work for a
> minimal installation - just the base system - before any GUI or Corba
> or other frills are installed.

See my previous mail and my upcomming proposal.

> The objective is to allow someone to set up an installation and let
> it all happen without any interaction.  GUIs are irrelevant to that.

Also allow to save a configuration that one made during long nights
hours and clone that onto all 100 maschines in the building. Also
being able to tell him that he should still ask for the ip, but not
for the gateway and netmask. (still working on that :).

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin