Re: dpkg and speed (was Re: Request for package: Perl Cryptix (needs non-us maintainer))

Craig Sanders spake thus:

> IMO, dpkg needs an overhaul...it should do something like apt does,
> using a binary "cache" database for speed, and an authoritative text
> database for safety.

You've just volunteered to code a new dpkg :)

Seriously, though, rpm kicks dpkg butt in many areas. We do need an
overhauled package manager, but dpkg is too big a project for just
one person to attempt.

I tried, and failed :)

Leon

--