Re: Hey, Y'all, check out my new improved "Free Software Research Paper Project" web site!

R> http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/3328/paper/ That's the
R> address. Give it a click!

I found your paper rather disorganized.  Its more full of musings and
circumstantia than with any flow of arguments or presentation of
ideas.

I had two objections with the arguements put forward

  * stressing sharing vs hoarding as the fundamental issue is
    reductionistic; it flattens other problems and issues, such as
    economic issues, social issues, etc.

  * trying to find a basis for free software in science and physics is
    not really going to get you far; it's really a social and legal
    issue (intellectual property) which is at stake

Other notes:

  * "open spec hardware" is not new -- cf the SPI sponsored
     <URL:http://www.open-hardware.com> (?)

Personally, I think free software works when interoperability is key;
free software delivers unprecedented levels of interoperability, by
it's nature.  That's the economic basis.  Furthermore, I think
recognizing the value of free software means recognizing (as you
discuss, but as a sideline) that intellectual property, as a legal
concept, and as a human concept, needs to be deeply rethought.
So that's where I'd go with your paper.